I’m always trying to find new and interesting things to put in my daughter’s lunch box. Especially now it seems that bananas are off the list – can you believe she threw a whole banana in the bin yesterday cause she’s decided she doesn’t like them anymore!
For me food for the little one does need to meet a few criteria; nutritious, quick and easy to prepare. So, these are just a few healthy but tasty foods that make regular appearances in my daughter’s lunch box:
- Fresh fruit – mandarins and apples are a couple of our favourites
- Carrot sticks – I chop these up on the weekend and store them in the fridge in a container of water to keep them crunchy. These guys often make an appearance in my lunch box too.
- Small tub of yoghurt – during Summer I sometimes freeze these so that they stay cool, and as an added bonus it keeps everything else in the lunch box cool too.
- Plain popcorn
- Cheese sticks
- Avocado, ham & cheese sandwiches – I like to squeeze a little lemon through the avocado so that it doesn’t go brown.
- Carrot & chicken salad – grated carrot, shredded chicken, sultanas and cous cous, drizzled with some orange juice and honey.
- If you can spare some time on a Sunday whip up some tiny muffins (using the 45mm sized muffin tray), wrap these up individually and freeze for convenience.
- Plain rice crackers
Do you have any other school lunch box ideas or recipes?
Photo Source: Flickr seelensturm