The top 5 don’ts of treating head lice. What not to do when you’ve got them!
1. DON’T: Use pesticide based shampoos.
2. DON’T: Use environmental sprays for lice - they are unnecessary and a serious health risk. Lice infect people, not the home. They are human parasites. Lice cannot live without human blood for more than 24 hours. Nits will not live unless they get a meal of human blood immediately when they hatch.
3. DON’T: Treat family members who don’t have head lice. Treat for head lice ONLY when a person has them.
4. DON’T: Treat family pets for lice with insecticidal shampoo. It’s pointless and potentially harmful (to humans and pets both). Lice cannot live on pets, so there is no reason to fear that lice may be hiding on your dog, cat or guinea pig.
5. DON’T: Use head lice treatments as a preventative measure. Head lice can’t be safely or effectively prevented by shampooing with either chemical or alternative treatments.
How to detect head lice early:
- Regularly check your child’s hair
- Keep an eye on how often they’re scratching or touching their hair
- If your child’s play friends have head lice, prevention is better than cure, try NitWits Anti-Lice & Detangling Spray!
- For the ultimate solution at the time of head lice infestation try NitWits All-in-One Head Lice Treatment!